I have previously talked about stress and its effect on the body and hormones in particular. If you are experiencing a prolonged period of stress and feel your hormones are out of balance, it’s very important to look at everything you do, not just one aspect of how you live. Let’s have a look at fertility problems, for example.
It is well publicised that from 35 onwards fertility decreases, as does the quality of the egg and the sperm. Many people, therefore, who have difficulty in conceiving look to IVF to help. This is a valid approach, but before you get to that stage, there are a few things you can try first.
Stress profoundly impacts reproduction
As I have outlined in other articles, stress has a profound impact on reproduction. Stress activates the “fight or flight” state – necessary to help us survive. But, as you can imagine, if you are fleeing from a threat, reproduction is the last thing on your mind and even from a survival of the species point of view, the body will be slower to reproduce where survival is less likely.
Within the body the hormone which impacts on the sex hormones is inhibited by stress and target tissues in the gonads become resistant to any sex hormones. It’s not just that stress makes you less interested in sex – it actually turns off these hormones.
Adequate protein in your diet is also essential for hormone production. What happens when we’re stressed? We usually don’t eat properly – we get cravings for sugary foods, or have no desire to cook and eat processed foods, all low in protein.
Five things for do for good reproductive health:
For good reproductive health, here are five things to consider:
- If you are going through a prolonged period of stress, it is most important to have a good diet, with plenty of protein.
- Build in some exercise and make it part of your routine. Exercise will help reduce cortisol, the stress hormone.
- Try to get a good amount of sleep. Lack of sleep increases cortisol.
- Build some time for yourself – it may feel like you are being selfish with all the competing demands, but it’s essential.
- Visit us at Fresh Perceptions, Dublin for natural support including dietary analysis and a herbal formula. This formula will help with anxiety, worry and sleep. We can also add in specific hormonal herbs to support good reproductive health, get periods back on track and get you feeling more normal – firstname.lastname@example.org.